Getting slammed with high fuel bills in winter? Electric bills skyrocket in summer? One way to bring these under control is by smart use of your thermostat. By making adjustments when you're out of the house or at night while you're sleeping, you can significantly reduce energy costs and help conserve our planet's precious resources.
Cape Cod households can reduce winter heating costs around 4% for each one degree reduction. You can save around 10% a year by simply turning your thermostat down 10 - 15 degrees for eight hours per day. In summer, a five degree increase for the same eight hours can shave 5 to 10% off air conditioning costs per year. (Source: U.S. Department of Energy's Consumer's Guide to Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy.)
Programmable thermostats can help in these efforts. If you need help setting yours up, give us a call. If you don't have one, call to ask us about having one installed and programmed for you.
Or better yet, ask us about smart technology made simple with WiFi Smart Thermostats by Honeywell. Benefits include:
- Control from ANYWHERE. Honeywell's highly-rated app allows you to program your thermostat from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Monitor your vacation home's temperatures. If temperatures fall, you'll be able to call someone to check if your heating is working. If there's a problem, you can call us for a repair before pipes freeze. As one unfortunate Balanced HVAC vacation home customer found out on the weekend following 2014's January arctic blast, a frozen pipe can cause quite a mess.
- Simple Set-up. Answer a few basic questions, and your 7-day energy-saving program is up and running.
- Smart Response. This smart technology even learns your heating and cooling cycle times to deliver just the right temperature, right when you need it.
- Advanced Fan/Comfort Control. Improves air circulation for more even temperatures throughout your home.
- Timely Alerts. This thermostat alerts you to extreme changes in weather, and reminds you when it's time to change your air filter both on the screen and on your smart device if you're away from home.
- Indoor humidity sensor. Displays humidity level right on your screen.
- Customable Touch Screen. Easy-to-read touchscreen's color can be customized to match your decor.
- Optional voice control. One model even responds to your voice commands. Tell it you're feeling cold, and it will raise the temperature. Tell it you're feeling "very" cold, and it will increase the temperature more! Tell it to raise the temperature five degrees, and it will adjust your setting exactly five degrees.