Skip to main content
#
Balanced HVAC
site map
contact
our facebook page
 Lincoln's Greener Savings Blog 
Thursday, January 22 2015

Act Like Your Life Depends on It; IT DOES!

Last month, a Plymouth customer called because her furnace wasn't working properly. I soon found a cracked heat exchanger. I immediately opened doors and windows throughout the home. Deadly carbon monoxide gas had been escaping into the home. We installed a new furnace.

When I asked the homeowner if she had carbon monoxide detectors, she reported that they had in fact gone off a few days earlier so had been unplugged to stop the noise. But nothing was checked!

When I asked if she had been having any health issues, the homeowner said that she had experienced headaches and dizziness and had even visited the hospital emergency room one day.

THIS HOMEOWNER AND HER FAMILY WERE SLOWLY BEING POISONED. 
THE DOCTORS MISDIAGNOSED, AND SENT HER BACK TO THE HOME!

Here's what you should do whenever your carbon monoxide detector sounds:

  1. GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY! Open doors and windows.
  2. THEN LEAVE THE HOME, AND CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. They'll check for carbon monoxide. If they detect it, they'll turn off all fuel burning appliances. That will include your fireplace, oil or gas-burning furnaces, water heater, generator, stove, oven, space heater, etc.
  3. GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM AND REPORT THAT YOU SUSPECT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. THIS IS IMPORTANT! The emergency room medical team that treated our Plymouth customer did not diagnose carbon monoxide poisoning and sent them home. That's not unusual. Such symptoms are often mistaken for those of flu, food poisoning or other common respiratory ilnesses. It is critical that you tell them that your carbon monoxide detector went off!
  4. CALL YOUR BALANCED HVAC PROFESSIONALS TO CHECK YOUR FUEL-BURNING APPLIANCES BEFORE RETURNING THEM TO SERVICE.

​Carbon monoxide poisoining is serious business.

It's the leading cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S. This silent killer is colorless and odorless. At high levels, it can kill within minutes. Even low levels can cause shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea and headaches and may have long-term effects on health. 

PREVENTION IS THE KEY!

Of course your best protection lies in prevention

  1. EQUIP YOUR HOME WITH A WORKING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR. NEVER disconnect its power supply, and ALWAYS check batteries. (We send all newsletter readers email reminders twice a year. Let us know about friends and loved ones you'd like us to include.)
  2. SCHEDULE ANNUAL HEATER MAINTENANCE SERVICE. Had this homeowner followed our recommendation, we would have detected the problem well before her heat exchanger failed.

If you have not yet had your heater inspected this season, schedule now. If your home does not have a working carbon monoxide detector, contact us. Ours detect low level contamination that standard store-bought detectors miss. If you have not checked your detector's batteries in the last six months, do so immediately.

Please take this advice seriously. It can save your life and the lives of those you most love.

Lincoln

Posted by: Lincoln Stubbs AT 11:00 am   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Facebook
Email
mass save(R)

CLICK to learn about 2019 rebates for energy-efficient upgrades and installations.

Enter to win a year's free tune-ups
Schedule seasonal maintenance service
Schedule Repair Service
Schedule No-Pressure Consultaton
Sign up for seasonal energy-saving tips & money-saving offers.
Why Choose Balanced HVAC
Tells us your Balanced HVAC story
Facebook
Email

"I can't say enough about your company. Your quick, and I mean quick response was great! Since Matt's visit, there's been a big difference in our system's performance all the way around. You have a customer for life. Thanks guys."

Bill Williams, Mashpee, 12/30/13

“Balanced HVAC has done a great job on our HVAC system. They provide prompt professional service. Unlike other companies, they are very clean inside the house. Our house is much more comfortable with our new system.”

Suzy, Barnstable, 6/21/13

    About us

    Cape Cod's Choice for Total Comfort and Efficient Air Conditioning, Heating and Heat Pump Installation, Maintenance and Repair.

    Contact us
    our facebook page

    15 Jan Sebastian Dr.
    Sandwich, MA 02563
    Phone: 508-428-0974
    Email: lincoln@balancedhvac.com

    (c) 2013-19, Strategic Edge LLC. All rights reserved.