No, marauding squirrels are not terrorizing our neighborhoods. But we did find one recently when we investigated a deadly carbon monoxide leak from a customer's furnace. Yes, a squirrel had curled up inside the homeowner's warm chimney and died.
If we had not peformed that routine preventative maintenance check, the outcome may have been tragic. Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning in the U.S. Even low level exposures are dangerous to your family's health. Carbon monoxide induced headaches and respiratory symptoms are often mistaken as winter colds or flu viruses even by medical professionals. Infants and the elderly are especially at risk to such low level exposure.
Deadly carbon monoxide gases are odorless and colorless. The only way to protect your family is by:
- Installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Our professional carbon monoxide detectors are far more sensitive than those sold in home centers and hardware stores.
- Scheduling an annual safety check by your heating professional early every fall. This important service is included with every Balanced HVAC pre-winter maintenance tune-up.
- Checking your chimney or furnace flue throughout the year to be sure that the cap is firmly in place.
Call us now at 508-428-0974, or schedule maintenance service online.